Thursday 10 February 2011

A different kind of church meeting

Our church meeting on Sunday is going to be a bit different from the usual. Our children and all the kids' ministry team will be in the main meeting, with the other adults choosing one of three seminar / workshop options. And I'm leading one of the workshops! I'm really looking forward to it but I've got no idea how it will go. And how it will go is largely out of my hands...

The plan is that everyone who opts for this workshop will sit in a circle and wait until we feel God prompting us to say or do something. This could be to talk about something we've read in the Bible recently, or to share some message that we think God has given us, or perhaps to lead a song that we can all join in with. It's all about being spontaneous and free to follow where God is leading us that morning, without the rigidity of a pre-set agenda. So how it goes will depend a great deal on what everybody brings, in the same way as the success of a shared picnic depends on everyone bringing something (food, drink, games, companionship).

I'm a bit nervous as I'm guessing this will be most people's first experience of taking part in a meeting like this. I want the experience to be positive and for people to be enthused about meeting together in this way again from time to time. But all I can do is pray that God would prepare people and give them something to share over the next few days, and that he would really show up on Sunday morning! I know he's always with us, but I'm sure you get what I'm saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment